At the Meeting of the Council held at Acklington Village Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 1 March 2016

Cllrs J Newton (Chair) D Barras, G Budge, E Critchlow, N Gair, G Orr, A Sharpe, M Townshend.
The Parish Clerk in attendance – Miss E Brown

66. Apologies for absence: Councillors I Monkhouse and L Welch had submitted their apologies. The apologies were accepted.
Apologies were also received from County Councillor Watson.

67. Declarations of interest in items on the Agenda: None.

68. Standing item – Public questions – None.

69. The minutes of the meeting held on 5 January 2016 were agreed as a true record.

70.  Matters arising therefrom:

a. Replacement posts for road signs – Cllr Newton was still to look at the posts and signage.

b. Resurfacing of footpath from the dog bin to the bridge – NCC were still working on this intermittently, Members noted it was progressing slowly.

c. Goal posts for play area – Members agreed to the purchase of Pair of Aluminium Socketed Mini-Soccer Goals measuring 3.66m x 1.83m (12' x 6'), with 63mm diameter posts and crossbars. The goals comply with BS8462 when correctly installed and come complete with nets and net supports, although it was agreed not to install the nets. The goal posts are as specified by the F.A. for under 10 year olds competition use.
The goal posts were priced at £576 including VAT.

d. Affordable housing; terms of occupation

e: Letter regarding S106 agreement – A letter, as circulated to the Members, had been sent to Planning Officer Mark Ketley expressing the Councils dissatisfaction and disappointment that the S106 agreement for the Pearsons garage site had been agreed without any of the requested discussions with the Parish Council. An off site affordable housing contribution of £30,000 had been agreed.
A response had been received from Planning Officer Tony Carter stating;
‘With regard to the assessment of the proposals and the S106 agreement, together with the Parish Council’s comments I would offer the following.
We noted that the Parish Council had no objections in principle to the site being developed into housing although expressed the following concerns:
•Layout needed to be reassessed due to an intrusion on neighbouring properties.
•Access to the site due to the close proximity to existing junctions on the B6345.
•Density of the properties.
We also noted that the Parish Council sought clarification on the future of the existing stone boundary wall alongside the paddock. The Parish Council also had concerns relating to drainage and whether the existing system could cope with an increase from a site of this size. Further, the Parish Council would have liked to be involved in S106 negotiations.
Officers took account of the Parish Councils concerns (Paragraphs 7.36 to 7.38 of the Officer report) and sought amendments where necessary. Regarding S106 negotiations, the council is guided by the policy requirements and wouldn’t expect the Parish Council to be integral to the discussions with the developer as part of the determination of this planning application. However, as you have noted, NCC has secured £30,000.00 towards affordable housing.
Town & parish councils and local communities can identify potential S106 requirements through formal responses to planning applications which would identify local social and physical infrastructure needs such as affordable housing, sheltered accommodation, open space and local environmental improvements. However, you may be familiar with the three tests for entering into a S106 agreement – i.e. necessary to make the development acceptable in planning terms; directly related to the development; and fairly and reasonably related in scale and kind to the development. These tests are a legal requirement.
The council considered that the only policy requirement relevant to this particular application, and the only legal test that was met , was the provision of an off-site contribution towards affordable housing in the area, therefore the monies we receive as part of this particular S106 will not be used other than for affordable housing. Further contributions would not meet the legal tests referred to above."

Members not satisfied with the response agreed to send a further letter, to be drafted by Cllr Newton. A Planner would also be invited to meeting with the Parish Council.

f. Ground improvements at Guyzance Memorial – Members small scheme request approved to the value of £1050 – The paperwork regarding the contribution had been received. The Clerk was to complete and return to NCC.

g. Trees at roadside near the junction towards the Guyzance Memorial – The Clerk would make arrangements for the Tree Officer to meet with Cllr Townsend on site to discuss the danger of the trees.

h. Footpath requiring edging; Broomhill to Acklington – The edging had still not been done. As the Council had been requesting this work for in excess of a year now, the Clerk would chase up copying in Local County Councillors.

i: New seat for Acklington Road – The Clerk informed that the new seat had been ordered. Members agreed that it would be located nearer the 30mph sign on the entrance to Acklington Road.

71. Standing item – Report by County Councillor Watson – None.

72. Finance:

a) Financial Summary The balance on account at 27th January 2016 is Treasurers Account; £313.75, Business Account; £5198.08.

b) Payments The following list was put before members and agreed for payment
  Date Cheque No Creditor Reason  Amount
  01.03.16 000416 E Brown Clerk's Wages / Expenses + seat £487.83
  01.03.16 000417 HMRC PAYE £29.40
  01.03.16 000418 Information Commisioner Subscription £35.00
  01.03.16 000419   Goal Posts £576.00

c) Receipts

  Date Debtor Reason     Amount
  09.11.15 Lloyds Interest £0.22
  09.11.15 Lloyds Interest £0.27

73. Planning:

a. To report on any planning decisions:
15/02504/FUL | Demolition of existing garage buildings and the erection of 17 residential units | Acklington Garage 9 Acklington Village Acklington Morpeth Northumberland NE65 9BY - APPLICATION PERMITTED.
15/04080/FUL | Proposed Garden Shed (as amended 18.12.15) | The Old Joiners Shop Guyzance Village Guyzance Northumberland NE65 9AQ –APPLICATION PERMITTED.
16/00349/MISC | Installation of High Speed Broadband Cabinet's for the High Street Broadband Project on behalf of BT Openreach. | 3 St Omer Road Acklington Morpeth Northumberland NE65 9DA – No consultation – PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT.

b.Planning matters pending: None.

c.To consider any planning matters:

16/00372/FUL | Proposed single storey timber framed home office building. | The Old Joiners Shop Guyzance Village Guyzance Northumberland NE65 9AQ - Members agreed to object, both to the principle of the development and to some of the detail.
The hamlet of Guyzance is made up of a number of grade 2 listed cottages and is designated a conservation area. Members felt that the introduction of commercial land uses into the hamlet represented a new and undesirable development that would potentially detract from the conservation area.
The proposed new building does not lie within the historic curtilage of the Old Joiners Shop, but rather in the area of land to the North of this which was originally an orchard and is now fallow land. The extension of the hamlet into this previously agricultural area is thought to be both unnecessary and undesirable. A change of use of this previously agricultural land to be either residential or commercial use is opposed by Members (and would be contrary to Policy 6 of the NCC Pre-submission Core Strategy).
Members thought that the building design and materials proposed do not represent an appropriate development in the Conservation Area.
If the Council is, despite the above objections, minded to approve the application members felt that there should be a condition imposed to prevent anyone other that the residents of the Old Joiners Shop from working in the proposed home office.
A condition of this sort would prevent daily traffic movements of employees and would generally help to limit the disruption the proposed development would cause to residents of the hamlet.

16/00464/LBC | Listed building consent for a proposed new detached garage to rear of site including demolition of existing outbuildings and existing garage. Proposed new single storey extension to rear of existing house including internal alterations. | 26 Acklington Village Acklington Northumberland NE65 9BW – No objections.

16/00463/FUL | Proposed new detached garage to rear of site including demolition of existing outbuildings and existing garage. Proposed new single storey extension to rear of existing house including internal alterations | 26 Acklington Village Acklington Northumberland NE65 9BW – No objections

16/00328/FUL | Change of Use of the Farm Shop (A1) and Cafe (A3) to two residential dwellings (C3), and associated works on land to the north to provide access road and layout alterations to existing development. | Cavil Head Cavil Head Road Acklington Northumberland NE65 9DF – Members had no objections.

74. Requested Agenda Items
Consideration of play areas repairs following site meeting with Cllr Barras and contractor – Members agreed to the following works being carried out:
1 Cableway - the cutting off of all exposed bolt threads on timber framework and fit protective caps - £30
2 Carousel - the reinstallation of the carousel roundabout to the correct safe level with new concrete base and fixing points - £546.00
3. Apply padding to either end of tunnel
The Contractor would also be requested to install the goalposts and the posts for the dog signs.

75. Correspondence Received Correspondence Received

75.1: Alnwick District WW1 Centenary Commemoration Group – Members agreed to forward this commemorative DVD to Acklington First School.

75.2: Alnwick Playhouse and Art Centre – Donation request – Due to the limited funds of the Council Members agreed not to provide a donation.

75.3: Anne-Marie Trevelyan MP – Neighbourhood Plan for Acklington – The Clerk would respond stating that the Parish Council had no plans to create a plan at present.

75.4: The Children’s Foundation – Donation request - Due to the limited funds of the Council Members agreed not to provide a donation.

75.5: Acklington C of E First School – Donation request to support school trips and extra curricular activities – Pursuant to Local Government Act 1972; section 137, Members agreed to support the school with a donation of £100.

75.6: NCC - Northumberland Local Plan Core Strategy – Update - Consultation on a Pre-Submission Draft of the Core Strategy took place between 14th October and 25th November 2015, and around 1,850 comments were received from almost 400 respondents. The planning team has been examining the responses, as well as continuing to work on background data and the evidence base for the strategy.
A report is published on 16th February which will be considered by the NCC’s Cabinet on 21st March, and before that by the Economic Growth and Corporate Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 23rd February.
The report highlights the key issues that have arisen from consultation on the Pre-Submission Draft Core Strategy. It also describes some areas of concern which need to be addressed before the Core Strategy can be submitted to Government.
In order to fully respond to public feedback, and to ensure that the plan is robust, it is considered that changes should be made to the strategy before it is submitted to Government. This will result in a further period of consultation on what will be classed as ‘major modifications’.
The proposed new timetable for the core strategy will see major modifications published and consulted on in June and July. The final strategy will be agreed in November and submitted to Government in December. This would see examination by Government in spring 2017 and adoption in summer 2017.
This revised timetable will allow representations to be fully considered, changes made in response, and further work to be undertaken on areas of concern – all resulting in a more robust plan, in preparation for scrutiny by a Government inspector.

75.7: Collection for David Francis – Members were requested to consider personal contributions for the collection as there were no powers that allowed the Council as a body to contribute.

75.8: North East Combined Authority - Transport Manifesto – Consultation – The NECA has begun a consultation on a 20-year ‘Transport Manifesto’ that covers both urban and rural areas of Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside and Sunderland.
The consultation will look at every aspect of transport. It will help to empower this part of the North East and reinforce its position of being a national and international economic force.
Thoughts and suggestion were welcomed via the completion of a questionnaire on-line via www.northeastca.gov.uk/news/have-say-future-transport-north-east or ring (0191) 277 1156 for a paper copy to be posted out to you. The closing date for responses is Friday 8th April 2016

75.9: NCC - Community Regeneration Team – This newly established team will bring together the Council’s community-based functions relating to the strategic partnership with parish and town councils; local growth and regeneration; and social enterprise development into one unified team.
Inevitably this will mean changes to both the NCC’s current working practices and
personnel. However, NCC remains committed to maintaining and further
strengthening its relationship with the network of parish and town councils as
detailed in the Local Charter.
On this basis, the focus of the next meeting of the Parish and Town Council
Liaison Group will be discussing the options for achieving this with a view to arriving at the optimum arrangements within the available resources.

75.10: NCC - JOINT NCC & TOWN/PARISH COUNCIL MEETINGS: 9 – 12 MAY 2016 – The North Area meeting would take place on 9th May although venue details had not yet been provided.

75.11: Flood Report Information – Details were provided of NCC’s responsibility for administering the Property Level Resilience Grant which is a £5,000 grant available to flooded properties to install resilience or resistance measures for residential property. There are a number of schemes available with documents explaining the process for claiming these grants.

75.12: Northumberland LED Street Lighting Project – LED lighting was due to be implemented in Acklington between March and July 2017.

76. Items for next agenda – Cllr Sharpe informed that ACT would be holding a litter pick on 16th April

77. Date and time of next meeting
Annual parish meeting TUESDAY 3 May 2016 at 7.25pm in Acklington Village Hall
Parish Council AGM TUESDAY 3 May 2016 at 7.30pm in Acklington Village Hall

The meeting closed at 21.00