Minutes of Parochial Church Council Meeting on 10th
September, 2014 - at the home of Moira Peden
Present: Revd Mike Dent, Moira Peden, John
Davison, June Davison, Caron Torbohm, Joan Davison,
Derek Steele, Barbara Lamb, Bill Rowntree and Joyce
01. Welcome by Chair Revd. Mike Dent and a thank
you to Moira for her continued hospitality.
02. Opening Prayers led by Revd. Mike Dent.
03. Apologies: Janet and Keith Bell, Pat Hawkins.
Bill Rowntree was welcomed to the PCC meeting.
04. Minutes of the last meeting: All PCC members
agreed with the minutes being a true record of the last
meeting, proposed by Derek and seconded by Moira. .
05. Matters arising: No matters arising from
• US charity
• Email received by the Secretary acknowledging £3000
paid towards the Parish Share
• Leaving donation for Bishop Martin, no charity
identified yet but a donation of £20 to Stephen Waddle @
• Letter from Mr & Mrs McGuigan read out, donation of
• Music Licence for the copyright to reproduce hymns not
• Treasurer’s workshop- Joan will attend.
Extra information re: Parish Share-
Mike and Joan went to a meeting in Alnwick with Revd.
Jim Robertson (Area Dean). The Parish Share formula has
become defunct and a letter read out to the PCC about
the conclusion of the meeting. St John The Divine may
need to pay an extra 2% next year. The Treasurer from St
Lawrence has offered to help out St John’s with their
payment in the coming year. John queried if St John’s
and St Lawrence’s could present their Parish Share as a
joint benefice, Mike would write a letter to the Diocese
to that effect.
• Churchwardens -
Pat not at the PCC meeting. A nomination has been
received from Bill Rowntree for role of Churchwarden;
this will be announced at the end of the next Sunday
• Treasurer -
Income- Summer Fair £767.15/ Guyzance £781.62/
Scarecrows £654.40/ Mr & Mrs McGuigan £50
Expenditure- Insurance- June (541.58)- July (541.57)-
August (541.57)/ Secombes- lead refit in iron gutters
£180/ Expenses for Mike- £166.92/ lawn mower repairs
£20/ oil £749.70.
Query over the necessity of tuning the church organ.
• Events Group -
Harvest Lunch- Margaret and Ken Denholm will be invited
and presented with a cheque (£75) and flowers. There is
a list at the back of the church for shared food.
Christmas Fair - 29/11/14
Mike and June wanted it minuted that we are all very
grateful for the hard work of the Events Group in their
work and fundraising.
Lemington Male Voice Choir Concert in March, 2015.
Events Programme for 2015 to be planned in December.
• School -
Tracey Clerkin-Shone now Chair of the Governor’s.
Barbara Lamb is now Vice Chair and Bill Rowntree,
although no longer chairman, remains on the governing
08. Vicar's Slot:
• Harvest - St Lawrence’s will collect tins of hot-dogs
for the People’s Kitchen. Barbara will ask staff at the
People’s Kitchen what they would like our church to
• Lych gate- Ken has been in touch with the War Memorial
Trust, they have advised that no work commences until
funds are available. 6 quotes have been received ranging
from £2,500- £14,000. The Diocese have advised
activating a Faculty as the gate is on church land and
work could cost between £10- £12,000. The Pelican appeal
has generated £845 so far. John feels we need to speak
to some local business, council, prison and auction mart
for donations. Mike advised postponing the project at
the moment. PCC to wait to hear from the War Memorial
Trust. Depending on their response the PCC will then
decide if the project is feasible or not. Proposed-
Mike/ seconded- Joyce. PCC in agreement over the plans
unanimously. Mike will do piece for the Pelican thanking
people for their generosity and the extent of funds we
require to complete the work if agreed.
09. Any other business:
• Donations for the Syrian Appeal are being left on the
font - needs to be kept in a safe place.
• Completed church kneelers for the WW1 commemoration
circulated, thanks to Barbara and Revd June
• Grass Cutting - Caron to write to Acklington Parish
Council for donation for the upkeep of the Churchyard.
10. Date and time of the next meeting: Wednesday
12th November, 2014 at the home of Moira Peden.
11. Closing Prayer: led by the Revd Mike Dent.