Parochial Church Council Meeting on 22nd
2018 - held at 20 Acklington Village
Moira Peden, John Davison, June Davison, Joan
Davison, Barbara Lamb, Bill Rowntree, Shirley
Rowntree, Val Sharp, Barbara Cock, Peter Wright
and Revd June Barras
1. Welcome - by Chair John Davison and a
thank you to Moira for her continued
hospitality. A reminder that the last meeting
had been cancelled due to a limited number of
issues needing to be discussed and other
commitments of PCC members.
2. Opening Prayers - Revd June Barras led
3. Apologies - Apologies were received
from Audrey Lamb and Revd Christine Shield.
4. Minutes of the last meeting - accepted
as a true record and signed.
5. Matters arising from minutes –
• item 5- the chimneys were now sorted.
• item 8 – the concert by The Hot Tap Splutters had been
postponed due to illness.
• The whereabouts of the Honours Board is still unclear, so
Peter is to contact JCSC to try to track it
It may be at Woodhorn Museum.
• an invitation from Amble Mothers Union to attend a
carol service on 4th December at 1.30pm in St
• John has received an invitation, on behalf of the church
wardens, to attend an afternoon tea at St.
Shilbottle at 5pm on 3rd December to meet
the candidate. Barbara Lamb agreed to
attend in John's absence.
• Wardens – Bill explained that the candidate
for the position of vicar would be being
interviewed on 4th December after having been
shown around the three parishes by some of the
church wardens. He should be in Acklington at
2pm on that Tuesday. As a PCC we are to submit
four questions we would like to be asked and
after some discussion it was proposed that the
church wardens would use the PCC’s ideas to
The church roof has been repaired, chimney been
cleaned, boiler fixed and grass cut.
• Treasurer- we still owe £5,000 of the quota
and, after some discussion, it was agreed that
this should be paid.
We are changing electricity suppliers as of
Expenditure:- numerous contra
Grass cutting x3 £270.00
usual direct debit-electric and insurance
Income:- Normal weekly
Extra Summer Supper £4
Coffee Morning 1/9/18 £529.70
John Davison’s Quiz £45
(a) PCC £393
(b) Plate collection £96.40
Added inscription- Williamson
Autumn Fair £802.20
• Deanery Synod Representative- no meeting
• Village Hall Representative- nothing to report
• Safeguarding Officer- nothing to report
• Ecclesiastical Issues- there were 22 people in
attendance at the Remembrance service at
8. Fund Raising Events – both the
September Coffee Morning and the Autumn Fair had
been very successful.
Bill is to man a Christmas Gifts stall on 1st
December at ACT’s Village Christmas Fair. All
donations welcome and John is to include this
information on the notices this Sunday.
16th December 2-4pm Cheese and Wine at Ingle
Nook. PCC to supply raffle prizes and tickets.
9. Christmas Services – Roger Styring has
the parish Christmas card in hand and Coquet
Churches Together are also publishing the
services information for all churches in the
Carol Service – Wednesday 19th December 6.00pm
Christmas Eve – 6.00pm Christingle
Christmas Eve – 11.30pm Midnight Mass
Christmas Day – service as normal
Rev June Barras is organising the Travelling
Crib rota with Bill and Barbara L to be the
named contacts for any problems.
10. Any Other Business -
• John had been so annoyed and upset by the lack
of Parish Councillors at the Remembrance Service
that he had penned a letter expressing his
views. After sharing it and discussing its
contents, it was agreed that Peter would modify
it a little before sending it on behalf of the
• Peter thanked Bill for covering for him whilst
he has been coping with his Mother’s illness and
then sad passing away. He also thanked the PCC
for their care and support through this very sad
• Barbara L asked if the clergy could use the
years mind book which is in church rather than
having to type a separate sheet. This will be
looked at in January when the present list runs
• Bill asked permission to put a polite notice
up asking people NOT to deposit items behind the
11. Dates of Next Year’s PCC Meetings-
Thursday 24th January 2019
Sunday 17th March - APCM in church
Thursday 21st March 2019
Thursday 23rd May 2019
Thursday 25th July 2019
Thursday 26th September 2019
Thursday 21st November 2019
All meetings (apart from the APCM) will be at
1.30pm at Moira’s
12. Closing Prayer- The Grace was shared
and the meeting finished at 3.30pm