PCC MINUTES  27th July 2016


Minutes of Parochial Church Council Meeting on 27th July 2016 - at the home of Moira Peden

Present: Revd. Mike Dent, Moira Peden, John Davison, June Davison, Joan Davison, Audrey Lamb, Barbara Lamb, Bill Rowntree, Barbara Cock and Revd. Christine Shield.

1. Welcome - by Chair Revd. Mike Dent and a thank you to Moira for her continued hospitality. A special welcome to Joan after her recent horrendous incident with a dog, we were all thrilled to see her out and about. A special mention for Joyce and a hope that she is being well looked after in hospital.

2. Opening Prayers - led by Revd. Mike Dent.

3. Apologies – Janet Bell, Keith Bell, Joyce Aynsley and June Barras

4. Minutes of the last meeting – accepted as a true copy and signed.

5. Matters arising from minutes – Richard Gascoigne’s visit in June has been rearranged for some time in August.
Christine is obviously no longer deacon but is now a Priest.

6. Correspondences-
i) Diocese of Newcastle Thank You for contributing our full Parish Share
ii) Newcastle Diocese prayer diary
iii) Newcastle Readers Board asking for a £25 donation….declined
iv) Archbishop of Canterbury’s Mustard Seed Appeal…Christine to look at
v) Children’s and Youths ‘Growth for Fruitfulness’ information sheet ( much of which was out of date before the meeting)
vi) Reply from the Parish Council declining our request for a further donation towards the maintenance of the churchyard. After much discussion it was decided that the secretary should sent a further request pointing out the importance of the upkeep of the land for the whole village.

7. Reports

• Warden – the Saturday morning cleaning session had been a huge success and another such event is proposed for after the Harvest Festival to get the church ready for the winter. The sale of books is generating £10 per week on average and therefore much appreciated. Dr Noble’s funeral will be taking place next Wednesday and the collection is to be divided equally between church and the family’s chosen charities.

• Treasurer- we are the best paying Parish in the Deanery
Expenditure:-
Grass cutting £168 + £252= £420
Donation Coq Church Together £30
Boiler repair and service £136
Income:-
Normal weekly + books
Queen’s Birthday Tea Party £453.20
Donation McGuigan £50

• DBS- a safe guarding email to all incumbents has resulted in a National Audit of all of the Church of England. To begin this, the vicar has sent all DBS information to Newcastle. All of our safeguarding documentation is up to date, partly because of the input from Brian Dobson who has produced duel paperwork for both churches. PCC members will be asked to sign a personal declaration form sometime in the future.

• Events – the scarecrow day is the next event but there were only two applicants at the time of the meeting. Refreshments were in hand as Margaret would be buying lunches, however this means money donations would be appreciated. There will be a tombola and bottle stall for which contributions would be welcome. A book, plant and miscellaneous stall is also being proposed if enough helpers are forthcoming. The proposed Northumberland Evening may be cancelled as June Barras was to arrange it but its feared her health problems at the moment may well prevent her from so doing.

8. Vicar’s slot-
Harvest Festival will be Sunday 2nd October. Mike will be away so Christine will be in charge. There is a wedding on the 1st so church decorating will need to move to the Friday. The wedding is between Philip Douglas and Kimberley Smith who have been attending church recently in preparation.
Mike thanked us all for our continued efforts and support of him and the church. Our numbers are growing and we are paying our way. There are always very positive responses from any visitors we have and both Christine and he really enjoy the atmosphere at St John’s.
We now have an accident book which will be kept in the vestry.

9. Any other business
Due to the fact that we have some (slightly more) elderly members of the congregation, there was some discussion about the possibility of positioning the people who give out books so they can help (if required) at the altar rail and the chancel step to try to avoid any accidents. We will review this idea again

10. Date of next meeting – arranged 14th September 2016 at 7pm

11. Closing prayers. The meeting closed at 8.20pm