Minutes of Parochial Church Council Meeting on
22nd January 2015
- at the home of Moira Peden
Present: Revd Mike Dent, Moira Peden,
John Davison, June Davison, Caron Torbohm, Joan
Davison, Derek Steele, Barbara Lamb, Bill
Rowntree, Pat Hawkins, Janet Bell and Keith
01. Welcome by Chair Revd. Mike Dent and
a thank you to Moira for her continued
02. Opening Prayers led by Revd. Mike
03. Apologies for absence: Joyce Aynsley
04. Minutes of the last meeting:
All PCC members agreed with the minutes being a
true record of the last meeting, signed by Mike.
05. Matters arising:
• Lychgate War Memorial Feedback -
John Davison has read and sorted all the
information left by ex-churchwarden Ken Denholm.
Not all the forms are completed or questions
answered. John recommends that we contact
architect David Jowett with a view to
resurrecting the project. John agreed to be the
named contact but advised that we would need a
formal resolution to proceed. Barbara Lamb
proposed that the PCC proceeds with the project
to repair the lychgate. Bill Rowntree seconded
the proposal. All agreed and the resolution was
• Grass cutting - a cheque for £250 has been
received from the Parish Council.
• Any other business - Tessa Sayers volunteered
to play the organ for the Midnight Mass service
at Christmas so it was not necessary to use the
sound system for the playing of carols.
• Barbara Lamb has received a thank you from the
People’s Kitchen, letter of thanks to be
displayed in church.
• Children’s Society has acknowledged the funds
raised by the church, letter to be displayed in
• A contact from St. Barnabas Hospice has
written again asking for charitable
contributions. Letter kept on file.
• CEPG: letter regarding electricity was read
out and filed.
• Energy bills correspondence: Joan Davison will
speak with Roger at St Lawrence’s about
• Churchwardens - the tap on the north wall of
church has been insulated to prevent frost
Acklington Parish Council- £250/ Memory Tree-
£74.50/ Prayer Candles (total 2014) - £49.34/
Crib- £30.05/ Wine & Cheese- £300/ Funerals x 3/
John Davison Quiz- £50/ various donations.
Expenditure 2014- Quota- final payment of £
3000/ Oil- £630/ Churchyard- £250/ Children’s
Society (Christingle) £99.13/ Vicar’s expenses-
2015- NE Fire Ltd (extinguishers) - £48.
There was discussion over the expense of the oil
fired central heating and how cold the church
can be during services.
June Davison commented on the collection at the
Christingle, Joan Davison says this is better
than last year.
Joan Davison shared Church Accounts for period
ending 31/12/2014 and explained some points.
Joan Davison would like it minuted the
contribution and commitment of John Davison as
the church organist.
• Events Group- Janet Bell gave feedback, funds
raised in 2013- £4180/ 2014- £4797.
Planned events for 2015 already planned-
Valentine’s lunch- 14/02/15. Lemington Male
Voice Choir- 7/03/15. Easter egg Raffle and
Hunt. Summer Fair- 6/06/15. Guyzance Summer
Garden Party in July, 2015. Scarecrow Event-
15/08/15. Beetle Drive/ Pie and peas- 10/09/15.
Christmas Fair- 7/11/15.
Mike wanted it minuted that the Events group
work really hard and it would be nice to aim to
raise £5000 in funds in 2015.
Janet Bell asked John Davison to put events
dates on the Redemptorist sheets.
Pat Hawkins, Church Rep on the Village Hall
Committee raised the issue of thermostats in the
hall not being changed due to costs.
Keith Bell queried this as the hall can be cold
during bowls matches and practice sessions. Pat
Hawkins will clarify this with the Village Hall
Committee. John Davison advised that the heating
procedure being visible in the hall would be
• School - John Davison asked if the school
governors had any updated information about the
village school. - but no updates at present.
08. Vicars Slot:
• Mike asked if PCC members could pop in to see
Rosemary Rouse or phone as she is very lonely.
• Date for APCM in church, Sunday 22nd March,
2015 after the service.
• Mike away for 3 weeks from 15th April, 2015.
• St Lawrence’s APCM - 12th April, 2015.
• Reports for St John’s APCM to be received by
the Secretary at least two weeks prior to the
• Local Ministry Development Group - there is a
common understanding that the Sunday school not
running currently. Mike wondered if a vibrant
display of church activities could be placed in
church where the banner currently hangs (this
would not require a faculty). PCC members need
to give thought to a Mission Statement.
• Open Deanery Synod Meeting- 14/02/15- Mike
attending with the Deanery Reps. Content of the
meeting to consider, What are our resources?/
How can we share them?
• Correspondence received from Mrs D M Sumner,
Secretary will send a reply.
09. Any other business:
• Church closed during the day, June Davison
expressed concern that if someone wants to pray
they may not know how to gain the key.
• PCC agreed to the church being open 10am- 4pm.
10. Date and time of the next meeting:
Wednesday 25th March, 2015 at the home of Moira
11. Closing Prayer: led by the Revd. Mike