Minutes of Parochial Church Council Meeting on 28th May,
2014 - at the home of Moira Peden
Present: Revd. Mike Dent, Moira Peden, John
Davison, Ken Denholm, Caron Torbohm, Joan Davison, Derek
Steele, Barbara Lamb, Janet Bell and Keith Bell.
01. Welcome by Chair Revd Mike Dent and a thank
you to Moira for her continued hospitality.
02. Opening Prayers led by Revd Mike Dent.
03. Apologies: Joyce Aynsley and June Davison.
04. Minutes of the last meeting: All PCC members
agreed with the minutes being a true record of the last
meeting, signed by Mike.
05. Matters arising:
• Events group are ‘doing sterling work’ in their
• Point 10 of the last minutes, the ACPM had gone really
• Lay Officers appointed, as follows:
Lay Chair- John Davison
Secretary- Caron Torbohm
Treasurer- Joan Davison
Gift Aid- Janet Bell
Electoral Roll Officer - Flora Steele
School Governor- Barbara Lamb
Village Hall Representative- Pat Hawkins
Mike extended thanks to all those recommitted to their
roles within the PCC.
• Bill Rowntree has submitted a form to join the PCC
Psppha- Alwinton Conference
Rape Crisis Helpline
• Churchwardens- Church porch is leaking very
badly; Ken is to ask the church roofers to have a look.
Vestry key- no progress has been made.
Church Stalls on right hand side are loose and the floor
• Treasurer- Joan has spoken to the Children’s
Society. N Power is in place for the next 12 months.
Income- Cheque from Ruth Wilkinson £170/ Tax Rebate
£1691.24/ Donation from Mr & Mrs McGuigan £30/ funerals£
230 + £10/ Winter Warmer £299.52/ 100 Club £600/ Pudding
Expenditure- Bins £48/ Water £98.10/ N Power £89.88/ Oil
£730.80/ Music licence £33.77/ Vicar Expenses £155.75/
Wine and candles etc. £169.10 / Sundries £15.26/ Boiler
service £60/ Church yard plants £75/ Quota paid- £3000.
Insurance- £2700 paid, Joan to speak to the
Ecclesiastical Insurance regarding the credit agreement.
Address needs to be clarified.
• Events Group-
Pudding Club- good evening.
Summer Fair due soon.
Guyzance Hall Summer Afternoon Party
Scarecrow day still under consideration
Mike thanked the group for their hard work and serious
dedication, every event is all credit to their efforts.
• LMDT- the Mission Statement and Mission Action
Plan needs updating. PCC members agreed no need for LMDT
extra meetings, therefore LMDT slot to be removed from
08. Vicars Slot:
• LMDT previously discussed.
• Margaret Hammond helps Mike giving communion at the
old people’s home in Warkworth. Margaret had previous
responsibility where she lived prior to Acklington to
give communion. As Mike is becoming increasingly busy,
permission will be sought from the Bishop for Margaret
to take up this role officially.
• Lych gate: Margaret and Ken have got 9 quotes. Church
House is aware of the quotes and will discuss the use of
a faculty. Janet Brown from the War Memorial Trust may
be able to pay half. PCC is to approach Parish Council/
village as a whole/ Historical War Groups/ and advertise
for funding in the Pelican.
Proposed by Moira Peden/ Seconded by Pat Hawkins/ PCC
• Mike asked PCC to consider a letter to the community
regarding fund raising i.e. ‘Friends of St John The
• Mike to write a letter for the Pelican regarding the
• Mike expressed thanks for Margaret and Ken’s work.
• Mike wrote a card of thanks for Isobel and Len’s
• Revd. A Richardson - it is not known if he will be
returning to the 8 am Sunday service. Revd June Barras
is happy to support at the moment but there is a
possibility the services may cease in the future.
09. Any other business:
• Eileen Murray will be 90 next month, Caron to get a
• Weddings or baptisms coming soon- Baptism on 15th
June, 2014 (Father’s Day), extra 20 guests during the
Baptism on 8th June, 2014 at 1.30pm.
• Festival Service for Coquet Churches Together on 14th
September, 2014; Mike to take the service at St.
10. Date and time of the next meeting: Wednesday
10th September, 2014 at the home of Moira Peden.
11. Closing Prayer: led by the Revd. Mike Dent.