Minutes of Parochial Church Council Meeting on 22nd
January, 2014 - at the home of Moira Peden
Present: Revd Mike Dent, Moira Peden, John
Davison, June Davison, Ken Denholm, Caron Torbohm, Joan
Davison, Joyce Aynsley, Barbara Lamb, Keith Bell and
01. Welcome by Chair, Revd Mike Dent and a thank
you to Moira for her continued hospitality.
02. Opening Prayer led by Revd Mike Dent.
03. Apologies: Pat Hawkins and Derek Steele
04. Minutes of the last meeting: All PCC members
agreed with the minutes being a true record of the last
meeting, signed by Mike.
05. Matters arising:
• Village Hall Committee - Keith attended on Pat’s
behalf and was made very welcome.
• Carol Service - Service well received and attended.
Mike wondered if different services throughout the year
may attract more people. Joyce suggested a sponsored
hymn sing along. Caron and Ingo were thanked for the
• June Pirie’s embroidery - now hung in church.
• Deanery Chapter - Parish Share paid in full, 97% to
• Diocese Returns / Statistics - certain diocese receive
funding from Church Commissioners, £1.3 million received
for Northumberland. Area Dean, Jim Robertson feels this
subsidy may fall and therefore lead to an increase in
the Parish Share.
• Parish Share - figures circulated.
• College of St Barnabas - letter received requesting a
• Churchwardens - donations for The People’s
Kitchen going really well.
• Events group - last meeting on 7/01/14, there
is to be a Winter Warmer Lunch on 22/0214 (11.30-1.30);
Janet wondered if Tombola could take place on the day.
Raffle of Charlie Evan’s painting discussed.
26/04/14- Pudding Club/ 7/06/14-Summer Fair/ 2/08/14-
Scarecrow/ 29/11/14- Christmas Fair/ 13/12/14- Christmas
Crib displays with mulled wine and mince pies.
Other suggestions- Hog roast/ Curry Night/ Northumbrian
evening/ Cream Teas/ Safari Supper.
• Treasurer - Christmas Fair- £869.61.
Philippines collection- £229.80. Cheese and Wine- £302.
Christingle- £42.91. Christmas Quiz-£66. Expenditure-
£700.40 for candles etc. and Vicar’s expenses.
Receipt and Payments Account for Year ending 31/12/13
circulated and discussed. Accounts proposed by John
Davison and seconded by Keith Bell- carried unanimously.
Joan thanked Roger Styring for his help auditing the
accounts. Joan thanked John for playing the organ free
Mike thanked Joan for her role as Treasurer and Joan
thanked John for helping her with the Returns.
• Local Ministry Development Team - On hold due
to illness, no report.
08. Vicar’s Slot:
• Parish Share - as previously discussed.
• Annual Parochial Church Meeting - Sunday, 9th March,
2014 after the service. Reports are to be typed up by
the beginning of February, 2014. Mike will do his report
as part of the sermon.
• Lent Course - Mike has a Coquet Churches Together
meeting next week with Susan Riley at Chevington and
there may be something arranged with Amble.
• Coquet Churches Together - John queried again why St
John’s not mentioned on the web site.
09. Any other business:
• School – There was a meeting in December 2013 and a
discussion around finance. Now a meeting planned for
February 2014. School roll - 12. Claire Jones - Acting
Part Time Head.
• Christmas Crib - some people didn’t want the crib,
others missed out and it was left on a doorstep.
• Anniversary of WW1- War memorial/ Lytch Gate-
discussion about up keep of the gate and the role of
English Heritage in any restoration. ACT to celebrate
the centenary with activities in the village.
10. Date, time and venue of next meeting: APCM
held in church on 9th March, 2014 during and after the
11. Closing Prayer: led by the Revd Mike Dent.