Minutes of Parochial Church Council Meeting on 27th
November, 2013 - at the home of Moira Peden
Present: Revd. Mike Dent, Moira Peden, John
Davison, June Davison, Ken Denholm, Caron Torbohm, Joan
Davison, Joyce Aynsley, Barbara Lamb, Keith Bell and
01. Welcome by Chair, Revd. Mike Dent and a thank
you to Moira for her continued hospitality.
02. Opening Prayer led by Revd. Mike Dent.
03. Apologies: Pat Hawkins and Derek Steele
04. Minutes of the last meeting:
• Parish Share- should state £10,201.
05. Matters arising:
• Representative on Village Hall
committee- Pat is currently unwell and unable to attend;
Janet offered to attend the
next meeting on 28/11/13
on her behalf.
• Harry’s Birthday- June believes they
won’t be in church on his birthday due to family
visiting. Joyce offered to get a
card to mark his 90th.
• Smart Water- an ecclesiastical campaign
to put a DNA type marker into lead and silver ware.
• E bulletins- information shared and will
be left in church.
• Acklington Parish Council- cheque for
• Churchwardens- Ken reported that
slates had been replaced above the Sunday school- £85.
Heating oil has been delivered. John offered to help Ken
with any duties while Pat remains unwell. Ken informed
the PCC that the People’s Kitchen will also accept
• Treasurer- Barn dance raised £94.
Expenditure, £200 for wall pointing/ grass cutting-
£197/ raffle tickets- £11. Current account- £7695/ roof
work totalling £2105 paid from current account.
Restricted account- £6552. Currently unable to pay the
Parish share. John queried why the change, Joan feels
there may be a short fall from fundraising and Janet
feels there is a lack of support for events. Mike is
considering drafting a letter to families in Acklington
about being friends of St John the Divine and making a
donation of £25.
• Events group- Barn dance attended
better than expected/ Christmas Fair- notice boards
still not up. Mary Guy has joined the group.
• LMDT- nothing to report.
08. Vicar’s Slot-
• Parish Share- Mike attended a 24 hour
away day; there is pressure to pay the parish share
quarterly. Joan feels this difficult due to lack of
funds. There may be a 5 % increase in the share this
next year; Mike proposed that a few hundred pounds each
quarter to be submitted. Mike feels major fundraising
• Bishop Martin- due to retire this year
• School- Mike and Barbara are School
Governors. Acklington a church controlled school and
Warkworth, voluntary aided school. Acklington First
School made a federation with Tritlington First. A
meeting to be held on 13/12/13 as Tritlington a
voluntary aided school and the implications for St John
• Carol Service- Third Advent on 22/12/13
at 10.45 am. No communion that day but after the service
mulled wine and mince pies to be offered.
09. Any other business:
• Gift Aid meeting- Janet attended
• Sequential- raffle prize was given back for church
• Noticeboards- not easy to see in current position
• June Pirie’s embroidery- to decide where to be hung in
10. Date, time and venue of next meeting:
Wednesday 22nd January, 2014 beginning at 7 pm at 20
Acklington Village (the home of Moira Peden).
11. Closing Prayer: led by the Revd Mike Dent.